Friday, December 18, 2009

Better than Betty

I think it was 8-year-old Diana who first said my cooking was "Better than Betty Crocker." It's since become the standard compliment if they like the dinner I make.

If they only knew that sometimes I cheat off Betty.

I hate to bake. It's far too much of an exact science, and I'm much more of a "Oooooo, think I'll throw in a little of that" kind of a cook. But when I was growing up, Mom always made batches and batches of Christmas cookies, and I want these kids to have the same. So I compromise, using Betty's mix as the base for all kinds of cookies. Each of these recipes starts with a bag of sugar cookie mix, prepared according to package directions (unless otherwise noted) and baked at 375 F. for 9 to 11 minutes.



White Chocolate Pistachio
Add to the mix:
1/2 bag of white chocolate chips
An equal amount of shelled pistachios.
Form into a ball or drop on cookie sheet and bake.

Mint Chocolate Almond
Add to the mix:
1/2 bag mint chocolate chips
An equal amount of chopped almonds
Form into a ball or drop on cookie sheet and bake.

Almond delight
Add to the mix:
1/2 tsp. almond extract (or to taste)
Form into a ball and place on cookie sheet.
Press 1 almond into the top of each cookie and bake.
Make a glaze with
2 T milk
1 cup powdered sugar
almond extract to taste
Drizzle over cookies after cooled

Lemon chocolate
Add to the mix
1/2 tsp. lemon extract (or to taste)
Form into a small log and place on cookie sheet and bake.
While still warm, top with 3-4 semi-sweet chocolate chips. Return to oven for 30 seconds. Use knife to spread chocolate over top of cookie.

Cream cheese and jelly thumbprints
Eliminate butter from cookie dough mix and add 1/2 cup cream cheese (I used whipped because that's what I had in the 'fridge)
Form into a ball and push a thumbprint into the top of each. Fill thumbprint with jam or jelly (I like seedless raspberry) and bake.
Make a glaze with
2 T milk
2 cups powdered sugar
Vanilla extract to taste
Drizzle over cookies

1 comment:

  1. I can say, without reservation, that the "Cream Cheese and Jelly Thumbprints" are so good that I tried the old "These are horrible; the kids will hate them!" ploy in order to keep them for myself.

    ReplyDelete