Thursday, November 5, 2009

Salmon two ways

Neither of these recipes are mine. And they are so good that believe it or not, I'm not changing either in any way. Both recipes are probably technically a "sweet-and-sour," since they combine sweet and salty/spicy flavors. But they're nothing like the orange goo that you get on a traditional Chinese restaurant sweet-and-sour dish.

Credit for the first goes to mom. She served this salmon to the adults when we visited her last night (kids got fish sticks. I think we got the long end of that stick!).

Credit for the second goes to my dear friend Holly, who served this salmon rub to me in April of 2002. And the fact that I still have the recipe seven years later and use it regularly must be saying something!

* Note: While these are both recipes for salmon, I imagine these would work well on chicken as well.

Bourbon Glaze
1/2 cup bourbon
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 T soy sauce
Combine all the ingredients in a small sauce pan. Bring to a low boil, reduce heat and simmer until marinade turns to a medium syrup.
Reserve half of the marinade and use other half to glaze salmon (or chicken). Bake, broil or grill until desired doneness. Remove from heat and brush with reserved glaze

O'Rink Salmon Rub
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 T allspice
1 T dry mustard
1 T dry grated ginger
Mix all ingredients together. Rub on both sides of the fish and let sit in the 'fridge for an hour (I'll admit, I sometime skip this step). Grill, broil or smoke to desired doneness (I think my favorite way to do this one is on the smoker, which adds another layer of flavor).

No comments:

Post a Comment