Tuesday, November 10, 2009

"Meaty" butter sauce

My friend Julie, who as a farmer has plenty of access to fresh vegetables, passed on this recipe for a flavored butter that she said she uses on "anything green." I tried it on green beans last night, and am planning on serving it over broccoli tonight. It gives the vegetables an hardy, almost meaty, flavor. Which I guess is a strange endorsement from a (mostly) vegetarian. But I LOVED it!

Green vegetables of choice
3 parts butter (I used 3 T)
1 part soy sauce (1 T)
Splash of balsamic vinegar
Melt butter. Add soy sauce and vinegar and stir to combine.
Steam vegetables to desired doneness. Drain any remaining water and return vegetables to pan. Pour butter sauce over vegetables, cover and let sit 1 to 2 minutes before serving so flavors can be absorbed.

1 comment:

  1. I used this mixture as a marinade for flank steak and portabella mushroom caps. I let them sit in the mixture in the fridge overnight, then brought them to room temperature before broiling at 500 F for 10 minutes (turning once halfway through). Let steak sit 10 minutes, slice against the grain and serve.

    ReplyDelete